Great posts by Mule Deer about Jim Zumbo and also about the Second Amendment.

I met Jim Zumbo only once and he seemed to me like a nice guy who knew a good deal about hunting. But the post about AR-15's was really stupid. His viewpoint was not uncommon among some hunters at the time, although with the rising popularity of AR-15's and other semi-automatics I think that pattern has changed a bit.

These hunters didn't understand the origins and meaning of the Second Amendment and they had little exposure to firearms outside the context of hunting. My late uncle, a rancher who loved to hunt, at one point quit the NRA because he thought they shouldn't support the right of people to own "assault rifles". As I recall, Craig Boddington has said that he came late to the understanding that we need to protect our right to own semi-automatic firearms, which is interesting considering his military background.

There's no doubt that the Second Amendment is about protecting citizens from tyranny and has very little to do with hunting. Like all organizations, the NRA is imperfect, but it's the best defense we have against having our rights abridged and our guns confiscated. That's why I'm a Life Member. The Second Amendment Foundation is equally important because of all the legal work they do. Without them we'd have no Heller or McDonald SCOTUS decisions.