Originally Posted by moosemike
I think if we took a poll of men born prior to 1950 and asked their opinions on AR-15 rifles, I think we would be shocked. I think JZ is just a product of his generation. I know of no one age 70 or older who has any interest in AR's or AK's. And I've heard plenty of old guys deride them while in gun shops.

Overall, I think you are probably right on that point. I myself am almost 72 years old and have little interest in AR-15s or Modern Sporting Rifles. My military life was with M-1s, M-14s and M-16s. Of the three the M-14 was my favorite with the M-1 second. If I could own the M-14 I was issued in basic training I would be a happy camper as it was a very reliable weapon that shot well. I just don't have those types of good memories about the M-16 I was issued.

However with all that said I don't begrudge anyone from owning any type of firearm they desire and I would never deride one in a gun shop. I am also sure the AR-15 types today are much better rifles than the M-16 I was issued in the late 1960s, but at this time in my life I am more interested in downsizing my firearm inventory rater than increasing it. Therefore I probably won't ever own one of these rifles.

One thing the intrigues me, in today's world when something firearm related is called to be banned it seems to increase sales dramatically of them. As often mentioned Obama is the best gun salesman that ever lived. As I look back to the time Zumbo made his fateful statements just how popular were these so called AR and Ak rifles? Certainly not nearly what they are today. Maybe Zumbo actually was partly responsible for the increased interest in these types of firearms because we have certainly heard much more about them, both for and against, since that time.

Could be kind of ironic, couldn't it? smile

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink