Zumbo's comments sure hasn't curtailed the sale of M16 style rifles. They are more popular today than when he screwed up. Question for me, because I like to know what makes people tick, is the why of it.

Why would he say what he did? Obviously he meant it, but why would he do so when he was told not to, and I would think there were others in the industry with experience in that room.

Answer from a distance would be ego. Outdoor editor of one of the largest hunting/shooting publications of his time. Also probably had his ass kissed for some time because of it. From readers to outfitters who wanted a writeup, he was a big man in his own mind and came to think he was more knowledgeable and influential then the rest. He obviously thought the way he did and his ego made him believe everyone else should also. Even against the advice of other knowledgeable people in the industry.

Ego bit him in the place he was used to being kissed. North, South, East, West, makes no difference, live long enough and an overinflated ego will most times eventually cause a fall.

Not all that rare to see it happen here on a smaller scale.

Last edited by battue; 01/25/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler