Gentlemen,
Aside from a number of larger custom projects I find that I have several Pre-64, specifically pre-53 solid handle one piece bolt, Model 70s that have 06' based feed rails, as well as a couple Echols Pre-64 Legend Stocks. Combine this with a 1000 pieces of Lapua 260 Brass and just short of 150 pounds of fresh H4350 and all sorts of Berger and Lapua Bullets. Mostly 139 and up... I was thinking about having Dave Tooley true an action and turn down the Bartlein 1-8" 5R Remington Varmint to a #5 Contour, or maybe I'll trade or buy a tube from bugholes.com and barrel it to a .260 Remington with an unrestricted seating depth... I've already talked to Alex Sitman at MasterClass about fitting the Legend Stock to the Barreled Action and pillar bedding the affair. Questions:

1. Use the standard length .30-06' magazine to push 140s out as far as they want to go, and keep that in mind with the reamer design, or install a Pre-64 .308/.243 length magazine? Rifle is to be a fun gun with the aim to burn some powder, which I have too much of, and put a barrels worth of wear behind an Echols Legend stock. How better to gain experience with the handle?

2. Light Contour or Heavier? I have have two Pre-64 Legend stocks. One sporter and one 5 contour plus Barrel channel... Neither are heavy. The are both standard fill. Want to keep barrel length modest. 22-23" at most...

3. .260 Lapua Brass is from Brownells. It can go back for exchange for life. I have had it boxed sitting with it's Redding Comp dies ready to ship to exchange for the same thing in 6.5x47 Lapua and Redding Comp dies... I just don't know if the Lapua gains anything from a 06' based magazine. Hell I don't that a 260 really gains all that much when you look at the Berger 130 AR...

Dave says the action is the last component in accuracy. He says the Pre-64s can be built to shoot very, very well... Somehow know him I trust that. Pre-64 70 in Echols Legend spitting out 6.5x47 Lapua cases makes for an odd mental picture or does it?

Only 6.5mm barrel I have on hand is the previously mentioned Bartlein 1-8" Remington Varmint Contour...

Thoughts guys? Open to input here. Trying to keep this one on budget and fun... Using on hand components.

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member