Gentlemen,
I was honored to find an e-mail from Darcy last night with a few photos mentioning he had read my mental muddling on this thread... His commentary in short:

He said there was nothing wrong with a .260 Remington on a 70 WITH the proper magazine. The one he built for his daughter and featured a custom stainless 3" mag and built on a G series .257 Roberts length(3") SA if memory serves. He also gave me permission to post the following pictures of that magazine and build photos. Dunno as I have them in order:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Brad,
You can go back to feeling smug that he heartily recommended the 6.5x55 in the Pre-64 06' based 70 as you repeatedly said... No doubt we will have to call you Sir and bow for the foreseeable future...(grin)

Bob,
He confirmed feeding difficulties with using straight 260s seated at the rear of the of the 06' Magazine. As you had said earlier...

fwiw & imho
I would just like to thank D'arcy for taking the time to respond to this thread and participate when he no doubt has more paying business to take care of than he can possibly handle. I always feel like I am robbing his time. Though I am honored by his participation...

You know he did say something in the e-mail about me building the magazine if I could and frankly I've been thinking about little else for the last 12-15 hours. I can't see around that magazine to note a tig joint, however, one must be there you would think. I've been thinking about a very small metal brake and working with annealing stainless and then reheat treating afterward. That is likely many a month and thousands of dollars in gear and consumables to achieve anything approaching that... That said maybe I ought to just ask Darcy...

I should not the follower is fully custom as well. Should have mentioned that earlier...

Best Regards, Matt Garrett.
Chesapeake, Virginia.

NRA Life Benefactor Member