Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Bugger
Ive not rad all the posts on this. But I believe that it is a little know. Fact that the spelling of Canada is a gross misunderstanding.
It was supposed to be Cnd, but it came across wrong.
The way they originally spoke the spellng was:

C (AYE) N (AYE) D (AYE)

I thought it was spelled C (eh)N(eh)D(eh)....

I gotta get this right cause Im going back up there in August....might be cool enough in the evening by then to need a bunny hug...

Your spelling is correct, yer Poobahness!

The pronunciation is a lot different than most 'Murricans can handle, though.

I'm booked to hunt bear in northern Alberta in a couple months, and after I talked to the outfitter a couple weeks ago I slipped into my northern Alberta accent sort of by accident, and cracked up The Redhead and her son. They're not used to it by a long shot!

You have to talk a lot faster, and put a lot more lilt in yer lingo up there. I lived most of my life in Southern Alberta (Calgary), so my "accent" was/is similar to an American Midwesterner's speech. But I spent enough time up nort' to become fluent in northernspeak... to my ear, it sounds pretty much the same from Ft. St. John all the way across PA (Prince Albert), to Flin Flon, and into Northern Ontario. Now that my ear and my tongue are more accustomed to the slower speech of my fellow Texicans, the northern accent is really noticeable to me. Sounds a lot more Newf than I realized!

So practice yer speech, Poobs, when you go up there fishin' fer pickerel and jacks. You don't want to be mistaken for a noob.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars