Originally Posted by K1500
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I haven't owned any new Colt SAA's since the 70s nor half the others Craig mentioned, but damn near every single action revolver I've had through my hands since then has needed some kind of action work to make it fit to use. And in that regard the Rugers have no better than the Italian imports. They are built stronger if you anticipate the need to shoot heavy loads.

Regardless my next one will be a four and three-quarter inch Cattleman in 45 Colt. What little about it that does need improving I can easily handle myself.

They all need action work to be fit to use? What's so bad with every single make and model that they can not be used for their intended purpose out of the box? I ask as an honest question, as I have limited SA experience. I have an old model Blackhawk that I bought used. It does just fine, but it is 40+ years old and I have no idea if anything has been done to it. I also have a new model single six I bought new and it seems to be acceptable as is, but maybe I am missing something.

That's a great question and it deserves a serious answer. I think it's all in what we expect from our sixguns. I expect to be able to take a SA revolver, regardless of caliber or sight configuration, and hit a coffee can every shot at 50 paces if I don't screw it up. For me this requires a grip that suits me, a decent trigger and perfect sight regulation. Your old Blackhawk was built with those things in mind. The New ones, not so much.

I've had mixed accuracy with NM Single Sixes, particularly those fitted with a Magnum cylinder. The Old Models I've owned were all tack drivers. At any rate I am glad you found a couple of good Rugers. They will give a lifetime of enjoyment.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ