Originally Posted by SBTCO
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
It's difficult to discuss something this complex in off the shelf , cryptic sound bites, and vague generalizations.

Example:
All things being equal, its the heat treat that makes the difference.

not at all sure just what you're trying to say,...

GTC

You're right, I should have clarified. I'm on the side of high carbon tool steels used in knife making where heat treat makes or breaks the final product and forging is used as another means of forming the steel vs stock removal, which unfortunately has a certain following that thinks the forging process produces a superior steel/grain structure strictly by virtue of pounding the steel.

My guess is you are coming from the low carbon structural steel side where cold forge/forging those steels has its positives not as evident in knife making.

This guy has a lay men's explanation for the basics in forging and heat treat http://www.cashenblades.com/images/articles/lowdown.html for knife steels but I think still has validity in general terms for basic steels in general.

It really does come down to the type of steel and what it is going to be used for as to whether or not forging has a place in the production of the product.

Has anyone passed the ABS journeyman 90 degree bend test with a knife made from one of the Carpenter wonder steels that have been shaped by grinding and with a proper heat treat?