Originally Posted by Boogaloo
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
TRW made the best M14 of all time. Receiver was cast if I remember correctly.

TRW receivers were forged.

Forging parts was the common state-of-the-art and a reliable way to manufacture and reduce machining considering the technology available at the time...it was 60 years ago.

fwiw & afaik,
That is correct. TRW 8620 FORGED Receivers have life spans of 450,000 rounds plus... It says something that NO ONE has been able to even approach this level of quality or longevity given the age of CNC finish machining. LRB Receivers are known by those who build them to be borderline nightmare and Smith has been unable, or unwilling, to try and duplicate the small batch made during the 80s that is talked about in reverential tones. I want to say, again AFAIK, that they made something on the order of 200 of the original forged receivers and evidently have been unable to approach that product since. Oddly enough there was talk, and pictures of partially machine receivers, that said new SEI Receivers were just around the corner. Once again something bit and they have, afaik, been unable to deliver on the product. The LRB product CAN be made to run, however, any M-14 smith I have run into generally hates the receiver and says it requires FAR more work to get to function due to poor QC. Something Brown SHOULD have taken care of several years back...

It never fails to amaze me how people/companies go through such herculean efforts only to have final finishing from allowing the product from becoming in the industry standard. As much as it grates me I had to buy a double lugged Springfield Armory to send with my build and it never did live up to a proper forged receiver. Compare a WWII forged M1 Garand that has been shot in a bit to SA M1A that you can build into anything you want and frankly there is NO comparison. The old forged parts fit together like they grew together. The SA receivers clink and clank and completely lack that organic feeling...

All that being said find a better basis to build a .475 Linebaugh when it comes to strength. Ruger, for all intents an purposes, cannot be beat. Freedom Arms, for all of their incredible tolerance is ANOTHER cast frame and cylinder product. One that lacks the safety of the Ruger but I digress(referring to the 83). Love the 97s...

I still think Ruger 77s are a first rate tomato stake. The FEEL like complete junk that no amount of time on lathe or mill is going to correct. That is a personal opinion that no one asked for and by all means pay it no heed. I had a close friend bring back a 77 in 6.5 Creedmoor from the FTW Ranch while his group was visiting there for a little Long Range Rifle Practice. He was amazed to see, another long time friend, shoot this same particular rifle into three straight .250 MOA 3 shot groups that were on the shy side of the aspersion figure and shot with Hornady Factory Match Ammunition. Needless to say I am attempting to buy the rifle as a gag gun to irritate other friends at the range who are fellow rifle snobs. Nothing would be any sweeter than to outshoot them with a POS Ruger 77. If I did not know my friend to be an officer and a gentleman by natural selection, to say nothing of congress, I would have questioned that purchase. Might trade him a Navy Match Grade Mark II B Grade for that rifle in short order. Apologize for the digression...

Regards, Matt.

Btw, The NEW IN PAPER Brookfield Precision Mount that went on my rifle was worth twice what the Receiver would have ever cost. Should have kept the parts and sold the receiver. What a junker... Could not get my mind around buying a Polyptych, however, I have since been told it was the best I could have found at the time... Forged I might add.

NRA Life Benefactor Member