[Linked Image]

I WATCHED this failure,while running a public range and having just called a cease fire,I saw him madly trying to open his bolt off a hot chamber and just missed by a second getting over to the fellow and telling him to relax, and dump it down range,....

Nice situation,....the rifle locked and cocked on a handload of undetermined pressure,....we gingerly lashed the thing upright in a off limits spot on an adjacent (vacant) range,....when the crowd thinned out a bit I got another local RSO to take over, and went over to the tool shack and cobbled up a piece of rebar and some scatter blanket sandbags, lashed the miscreant Rem 700 to a rest, and fired it with a piece of bale twine. The fireformed he'd been pulling out of the gun all looked fine, and some other Manglum crazies assured that his load wasn't THAT hot,.... so I was reasonably certain that my plan was the best one for the moment.

A friend had a pretty Skookum Rifle and Optics business running close by, I got the rifle's owner and my friend together, they ordered up some sorta custom handle, which, IIRC, I installed.

There was a BAD run of this problem, and I have more examples out in the shop somewhere.

Like Klick says, I'd be a little cautious about overinflating the quality of one MASS PRODUCED rifle over the other, and slinging overly full buckets of chit at "inferior" (albeit STRONGER) designs)

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 10/12/16.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain