I have had 2 of them a male and female. The female was a rescue which was severely abused by a previous owner(s). My kind hearted wife made a fine dog out of her , unfortunately Shadow had hip dysplasia and we had to end her life at 4 years of age. One of the tougher things I have done in life. My mother who grew up on a farm was in tears for days over this and she was not a big dog lover.

The male was a german import Rottie, weighed between 100-105 lbs his entire life. Bear was an Absolute Stud of a Dog, color , conformation,intelligence and demeanor off the charts .

My wife lived on a fenced 1 acre lot before we were married. SOme kid made a habit of riding his bike past the fence and hitting the chain link with a stick. One day I went out to put up a FOR SALE for the property and I did not close the gate right. Here comes the same kid hitting the fence and inciting the 2 rotties . I noticed the gate ajar and I could not make it there before Bear ran out and chased the kid down and knocked him off his bike.He stood over the kid and growled at him but there was no further damage. I walked the kid back to his parents house and explained to them what he was doing and not to do it again.

He died of cancer in june of 2001 and I miss him to this very day. I would have another in a NY minute. Train them right and let them know who the boss is and they are a fine companion. I am now taking care of a 12 month old Bull Mastiff and he reminds me a lot of the other two and he is even more protective of my wife and I.