I'm thinking about building an SBR, using 300BLK subsonics, that would be used solely as a home defense weapon. I come to that decision based on a balance of factors, including size, weight, performance in a short barrel, penetration, stopping power, and efficiency in suppression.

With that said, I've shot a standard M4 type rifle plenty of times, but I have zero experience with the 300BLK, SBRs or suppressed weapons. So, I have some questions about the process of building such a system. Again, this weapon would literally go two places- the rifle range, for training and maintenance, and my bedroom for home defense.

If I want to keep the thing short and maneuverable, I see their are offerings for 9-11" barrels and 5-7" suppressor combinations to help keep the overall length in the standard M4 length range.

I assume that the subsonics are the best way to go to get the DBs to the point where I don't care about hearing protection. And the ballistic limitations of the subsonics are not an issue at the distances we're talking about for home defense.

How do I take into account the combination of ammo load, barrel length, gas block system and BCG to ensure proper cycling of rounds? For those who have built such a weapon system, did you use an adjustable gas block to tune all those factors?

My concern is to ensure proper and reliable cycling, mitigate excess back pressure that may be created with a suppressor, felt recoil/muzzle jump and management of the amount of gas when shells are expelled.

Also, for such a close quarters weapon, would you even bother with optics or would you just go with metal sights and/or a laser and just point and shoot?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE