Originally Posted by jimmyp
I just struggle to understand how a 45 ACP 230 grain gold dot out of a pistol sucks, but sucks more out of a 16 inch carbine. A dollar a shot practice ammo vs 50 cents a shot or less. Beyond the ammo cost I agree 300 is a far better round.

A lot of misconceptions.....

You have to understand terminal ballistics- in this instance the permanent crush cavity and temporary stretch cavity. The permanent crush cavity is the permanent wound of crushed and damaged tissue. The temporary stretch cavity is the temporary wound caused by the passing of the bullet that stretches the tissue radially outward. In pistols (velocity under around 2,200fps) the temporary stretch cavity is NOT a significant factor in wounding due to the elasticity of most tissue. Velocity over that IS a significant wounding factor as the tissue will tear and fissure. So looking at slowmo gel block shots that look impressive of pistol rounds is deceiving as the TC is not really effectual. With pistols the permanent cavity is only about as big as the bullet diameter i.e.- what the bullet physically touches. .

Increasing velocity of 45acp from 800fps to even 1,600fps does not change the Permanent cavity. The problem is that being the only wounding being done is what the bullet physically touches, the bullets are designed to achieve full upset (mushroom) at a certain velocity, in this case 800-900fps, at velocities over that range the petals will over expand, fold back or tear off causing the wound to be a narrower diameter.

There is no comparison in wounding potential between pistol and rifle cartridges.

As for shotguns, while 12 gauge buckshot can be devastating at close range, shotguns are more complicated to manipulate, significant recoil and muzzle flip slowing follow up shots,, hold less rounds, and are range limited. Despite what most seem to think shotguns are not death rays and DO have to be aimed.

Most people, especially non gun people, would be best served with a properly set up AR variant. They are simpler to use, require less manipulations, and have less recoil and muzzle flip allowing after follow up shots. They are easier to mount a flashlight and white light as well.