Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Despite what most seem to think shotguns are not death rays and DO have to be aimed.

I watched a guy pattern a Benelli M4 at the range one day - I was thinking of buying one and was curious to see what it did. He was using buckshot, and the load made about a 6 inch pattern at 25 yards.

Several years ago I took a friend coyote hunting in the sandhills at night. At my suggestion he brought a Black Eagle loaded with #4 buckshot. We had a full moon that was bright enough to read a newspaper by and about a foot of snow. We were set up in a newly planted shelter belt with cedars that were about chest high. First squeal on an AP-6 brought a small 'yote running in. She slowed to a walk and finally sat down about 25-30 yards out. Tim was sitting with his arms braced on his knees, aimed and touched it off - and never touched a hair.

Tim shoots trap and skeet 9 months of the year; he owns a membership in a private waterfowl club and spends every weekend of the season in a blind; he shoots turkeys spring and fall. When I asked him, "What the Hell...?" He said he was breathing so hard and shaking so much that he couldn't focus on the target so he just shot...

Yeah, you have to aim!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie