UncleSoapy,

For many years I've been enamoured with both the 308 and the 7mm-08 though I have never owned either. In my early years when I first started hunting I used a 7X57 sporterized mauser which is basically a 7mm-08. I skipped over the 308 at some point opting out for the 30/06 instead. I found recoil from the 30/06 to be a bit more than I cared for due to the fact that I like to practice with my hunting rifle a lot and 50-75 rounds a week I found my shoulder a bit bruised. Eventually I got my hands on a 270 and for 12 years now its been my cartridge of choice.

IMO cartridges such as the 7mm08, 7X57, 308, 270, etc are all cartridges I consider to " kick a little, but kills a lot" category. The 7mm08 offers slightly less recoil slightly better long range ballistics than the 308 IMO, whats not to like?

Recently I made a bit of a move and am toying with the idea of going from my 270 as a mainstay to a 6.5X55 swede. Last year was the first year I hunted the little swede and recoil is noticably less. Both rifles are the Tikka T3 so it was an apples to apples comparison. Results were more than satisfactory on deer, enouph so, next year it will get used for elk. I think the 7mm08 would fall under the same concept with perhaps a little more recoil and an ability to handle heavier bullets if thats your thing.

The 7mm08 just might be the best "kicks a little, kills a lot" cartridge availiable today. I know my 7X57 I used years ago was a killing son of a gun which is the very reason I began to steer toward the lighter recoiling cartridges to begin with.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field