Its the best thing on a 308 case. With ballistics like a 7x57 it's hard to fault. I wish were a huge fan but never saw any advantage for me anyway. YMMV. frown

Despite 8-10 of them ,starting when the cartridge came out, I never became enchanted. Friends and I used them here in New England for quite a few years,mostly with 140 gr bullets,but there was no advantage over a 7x57 for the same game,and I liked the longer neck and somewhat bigger case of the 7x57 better.

I think one old pal still has his, a lefty on a short 700 action. I had various Remington offerings, M70 FW's ,Compact Classics, Kimber 84L and Montana's(at least 4 of those. I kept trying! smile

It was always slower with comparable bullets than a 270 or a 280;certainly didn't kill any better..... the somewhat shorter, lighter rifles never allowed me to kill anything that i couldn't and didn't kill with a 270 or 280 just as easily.

With 270's and 280's in the stable it was superfluous, offering no advantage. It's ballistics are easily duplicated by several other cartridges so no gain there.

Recoil differences? I know it's subjective, but to me there is no recoil differences.Recoil from a 7/08 is trifling....so is a 280.

I sold my last one, a Kimber Montana, about 18 months ago....another failed attempt at liking the 'short action/7/08" concept. It never blew my skirt up.Nothing wrong with it but I'll take a 270,280,or 7x57 any time.

It's popular in New England but eyeballing ammo sales and rifles I'd say it's behind the 30/06,308,and 270 and it ain't even close.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.