Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Its the best thing on a 308 case.

I think you could make that same argument for the 260. IMO, the advantage of the 7-08 is heavier bullets for bigger stuff, so for deer I prefer the 260. Especially if you get one with the right magazine length, 3 inches.

Yes....true.

But....the 260 wasn't around when I formed my frame of reference,and when it showed up my attitude was..."here we go again.....something else I don't need". eek grin

It mighta been a perfect silhouette cartridge for Jim Carmichael to plink with,but when it came time to go BG hunting worldwide, Jim didn't take a 260.....he packed a 280..... wink

Honestly you can't go chasing after ever single duplicitous, overlapping,redundant, reinvented cartridge the factories shove down your throat........or can you!??? grin confused

After doing it myself I found it substantial waste of time and energy. My emphasis was not to so much play with cartridges as it was to go hunting.

I think I never fell in love with any of these short 6.5-7mm's is because I'd figured out by 1980 or so how to make 7 pound 270's and 280's etc, so they offered no advantage to me.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.