Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Its the best thing on a 308 case.

I think you could make that same argument for the 260. IMO, the advantage of the 7-08 is heavier bullets for bigger stuff, so for deer I prefer the 260. Especially if you get one with the right magazine length, 3 inches.

Yes....true.

But....the 260 wasn't around when I formed my frame of reference,and when it showed up my attitude was..."here we go again.....something else I don't need". eek grin

It mighta been a perfect silhouette cartridge for Jim Carmichael to plink with,but when it came time to go BG hunting worldwide, Jim didn't take a 260.....he packed a 280..... wink

Honestly you can't go chasing after ever single duplicitous, overlapping,redundant, reinvented cartridge the factories shove down your throat........or can you!??? grin confused

After doing it myself I found it substantial waste of time and energy. My emphasis was not to so much play with cartridges as it was to go hunting.

I think I never fell in love with any of these short 6.5-7mm's is because I'd figured out by 1980 or so how to make 7 pound 270's and 280's etc, so they offered no advantage to me.

Another "different folks, different strokes" thread.

I like "different", so I don't mind chasing after duplicitous, overlapping, redundant, reinvented cartridges as it (mostly) keeps me out of trouble and in my Wife's good graces. I'm not in the business of championing any particular consumer product, to each his own I say. But I'm mostly indifferent to other folk and what they do.