Originally Posted by idahoguy101
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy
Very interested lately in this chambering. I recall reading an article a few years back (I think possibly by Dave Petzal) about this being the perfect whitetail cartridge. Is it really any "better" than a .308 for deer?
I also wonder where it ranks in effectiveness compared to any of the other 308 based offerings. Or are they all pretty much the same?

Is there some "magic" in putting a 7mm bullet on a 308 case?

Please educate me on this little wonder round, I'd love to hear some real world experiences ( good or bad ) and maybe some pics of your rifles and game taken with the 7mm-08.

Thanks guys!

The point of the 308 Winchester/7.62 NATO was to have .30/06 ballistics in a shorter case. 51mm versus 63mm. Which is a good thing. Any deer shot with either a 308 0r a 7mm-08 is going to die

Another military advantage of the 308, 7.62x51, was to have a case designed with a heavier/thicker rim construction to reduce the frequency of the rim being torn off and the weapon disabled when used under sustained fire situations in machine guns. Almost every WW2 or Korea USA or USMC infantry veteran will remember when his unit lost its light machine gun support when one or more of their Colt M1919s was disabled due to a 30-06 rim being torn off.