Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
GG, I agree a bit, but if you drive a larger caliber (already expanded) to similar velocities, it can't hurt - pardon the pun.

I prefer 230 grains, but since a 124 grain 9mm hits the bricks at about 1200 to 1300, why shouldn't a 160 grain .45 at similar velocities be - at a minimum - just as good?

Sectional density sir.

124gr XTP: .141
185gr XTP: .130

That's comparing a 185 and it's still markedly less sectional density. What that gives you is a VERY large wound, but not a deep one.

I personally think trading expansion for penetration is not a great idea (all within reason of course).

I would not be predicting penetration on SD alone, seen it not work that way many times.

I get that, but look at ballistic gel tests.

I've looked at them and I've looked at the game I've taken and sectional density leaves a lot to be desired in predicting penetration. For instance the 185 grain XTP expands well it also does not expand as wide as does the 230 grain XTP. That matters in how far they penetrate.
Another example is the Hornady 220 grain Critical Duty load that out penetrates most if not all 230 grain JHPs.

Last edited by jwp475; 01/13/17.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first