Originally Posted by SargeMO
I think the larger bores/heavier bullets work better on oblique angle shots or those were major skeletal structures are hit.

I've had occasion to 'officially' shoot several dozen deer (and have witnessed about that many more) with various service calibers, from 38's through the 45 Auto. Many of these had been injured by autos, were caught in fences etc and when you walk up on them they get an adrenaline dump that makes crack look like cotton candy. Guess I have shot another dozen while hunting with 357, 44 Mags and the 45 Colt. They were generally unaware of danger unless I was running one down and finishing it after someone else didn't kill it outright with a rifle.

No question in my mind that big heavy handgun bullets will put one on the ground substantially fast than light/fast ones, all things being equal.

No doubt in my mind either and opinion come from shooting game over decades. Gel tests are fine for starters but hardly the definitive last word.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first