In two words, "It doesn't"...

Whether one is choosing a 9mm, a .40 S&W, or a .45 ACP, each offers something to fit the needs of potential handgunners. I believe they are all three fairly capable rounds--and any one of them is a good choice.

The 9mm has always been my favorite centerfire handgun round--for reasons obvious to anyone who shoots on a regular basis.

When I first began comparing times between the 9mm and the .45 ACP when firing specific stages--the results were fairly depressing. My times with the .45 were too slow by contrast. Consistent practice over the past 30 years has narrowed that gap. The last five times I've been out at the range, four of those five times have been very cold, right close to zero, or right at zero degrees. The last time out last week, the temperature was about 12 above, but with the wind it was quite a bit colder--likely right at zero degrees--calling for firing with gloves on. I made a half day of it.

These sets were fired with a second gen Glock 21 with Trijicons dated 1992, the pistol bought new in 1993 (as an aside, they still have fairly decent glow). The rounds were Federal 230 gr FMJ full power rounds with aluminum cases. Standing one yard in front of target, facing 180 degrees away. At beep, turn 180 and fire five shots while retreating straight back, or retreating at an angle, to about four yards distance. Pics of three of those sets--all fired with thin gloves on.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tobacco Root mountains in the distance--a great day:

[Linked Image]

Reasonable skill can be achieved with full power .45 ACP rounds, and it is a great round for carry--my favorite for everyday carry, and it only "sucks" when the one doing the firing sucks. Presenting the rig on demand--and getting rounds off fast--and accurately--is much of the crux of the matter, and debating between these 3 cartridges is something that can go on endlessly.

These types of topics baffle me, and really remind me of the notion of couples taking Lamaze classes to have a child. Ridiculous. Imagine critters "not knowing", stressing, wondering about that which comes naturally...

Folks need only pick a cartridge and platform that works for a particular need, and go forth and practice with it--which soon confirms one's choices...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...