Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel
but I will probably stay away from Remington until I start reading better reports. The last 5 or 6 remingtons I have bought have been a less than stellar.

HeavyBarrel

I own, shoot, and reload for 4 Remington 700's chambered in 243. The first is one of the Buckmaster models with 24 inch barrel, it's on permanent loan to my son, who refuses to return it. The next one is an LVSF, on which I switched out the stock to a B&C T1, and converted it to a BDL configuration. The next started out life as a Walmart Black Friday special for $278. Since it was originally an ADL model, I put another Remington stock and bottom metal, making it into a BDL. The last one was also a $278 Black Friday rifle, and it's a 20 inch barrel youth model. With the exception of a different stock, none of these rifles have had anything done to them. No bedding, no after market trigger, no barrel lapping or anything related. Yet, they are all excellent shooting rifles.....for me, anyway. I don't shoot any kind of competition, I'm just a hunter, shooting at deer and coyotes. I rarely shoot at ranges past 300 yards, mainly because that's a long shot in most of the places I hunt. None of those 243's have BDC type scopes, just duplex reticles. Although, I've shot some really good groups out of the LVSF, I can't say that it's any more accurate (for my purposes anyway), than the others. My favorite load for the 243 is 45.5 grains of W760 with the Sierra 85 grain HPBT bullet. This combination shoots great in all 4 of those rifles. The youth model with a not so clear 2X10 Weaver, will routinely shoot inch groups at 200 yards all day long. I shoot other bullets as well, the 58 grain VMax, 65 grain Berger, 70 grain Sierra HP, 90 grain Nosler BT, 95 grain SST, and 100 grain Remington SP. If I have a gripe, it's that while every one of those rifles shoot extremely well with the lighter weight bullets, they are finicky about the 95 and 100 grain bullets. I use W760 in bullet weights from 58 to 85, and have found that with a max load, to slightly above max, they all work. With the heavier weights, I've had to try different powders, such as IMR 4350, IMR 4064, R19, and the 760. Now, I fully realize that my expectations may not be as great as someone else's when it comes to "accuracy", as we all have differing definitions of the term. But, for hunting purposes, I cannot imagine that anyone would expect anymore out of a 243 than what any of my rifles will deliver. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I haven't found a thing wrong with Remington rifles.