As a retired funeral director, I heard from virtually every family simple and inexpensive, and I can identify with their feelings. No matter visitation or not, cremation or burial, your first question SHOULD be: Is this funeral home privately owned?

There's a huge movement within the funeral industry where formerly "mom and pop shops" are bought up by large corporations. The building may be the same, some of the employees may be the same, but I'll tell you one thing, the level of service and the prices will NOT be the same!

As was pointed out earlier, use a day or two to research places you might be interested in handling your services, and comparing prices. Most corporate funeral homes attempt to steer families into a "package" which might include many items that you simply do not need. Although it might be nice that a fancy urn is included in the package, a identical urn can most likely be purchased online for less than half of what the package charges. Be careful, keep your eyes open.

For immediate cremation, many areas have businesses that cater to that wish and nothing else. The savings can be substantial, with only a store front and less employees as overhead.

Ask for price lists, they're federally mandated to be offered the customer.

And, being a funeral director, I opt for immediate cremation as well. Simply my choice, and nothing wrong with that.