Originally Posted by Alamosa
Burial.
Pine box, no embalming (legal in CO), no big to-do about it.
I would prefer to biologically regenerate.
From a practical standpoint it is unlikely I will have any survivors and I distrust any local providers to do that correctly.
Actually, it's legal in most states for most causes of death other than a few dangerous diseases. The practice of embalming on a regular basis came with modern transportation. They used to bury them within a couple of days. Then they started holding the bodies for a week or more until relatives could get there for the funerals. It had nothing to do with preserving the body.
Another part of it was to be able ship the bodies long distances to be buried near other family members. They formerly buried them where they died.
Up through WWI, we buried our soldiers in foreign fields. Now we bring them home, even if it takes 75 years to find them.

Earlier I mentioned that many cemeteries require either a steel casket or a concrete vault. It's not required by law anywhere that I know of, but the cemeteries require it so the ground won't sink as the casket disintegrates. They don't want low spots by every headstone.

For those who say no funeral - you're cheating your family out of closure. Funerals are for the living, not the dead. It's a formal breaking of a family bond that's part of all of us and allowing the family to move on. I had a female cousin die a few years ago. She was an odd bird. She wanted to be cremated, her ashes mixed with those of a favorite dog that she'd had cremated, their ashes scattered along the Snake River in so. Idaho and no service of any kind. Her only remaining relative on that side is her older brother. He did what she wanted but he's often regretted it. It's been about 5 years now and he's unhappy that she just ceased to exist. There was never any kind of closure and he's been in pain about it ever since. Requesting that there not be some kind of service is painful for your family. DO NOT do it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.