I know I'm stating the obvious, and not meant in a condescending way at all... but regular cleaning and maintenance helps with powder and/carbon fouling and other mechanical related failures with my firearms. but yes I've experienced the same thing in my DA revolvers. I just make sure and give 'em a good cleaning before I carry them. Bullets jumping crimp is a tough one to prevent, even with proper crimp and tension. I've had that happen when shooting really hot hard cast bullets a couple of times and it turns the revolver into a paperweight. Never had that happen with the specialty factory loads from Grizzly, Buffalo Bore or Garrett...

I carry a side arm (usually a DA or SA revolver) in the backcountry, usually only during archery season. Never had to drop the hammer on anything, but did draw it once thinking I might have to use it (but frankly I probably didn't) I took a huge 7'6" black bear in Alaska in 2013 that was on a hot sow. Boar ended up dying at the base of a tall tree right on the banks of the Tanana river and the sow just would not leave her man. Every time I'd approach she'd pop her jaws, woof, sling some dirt around and stand her ground, once even climbing up the tree a ways and putting on a real show... I wasn't giving up my bear and luckily she lost interest and finally moved on (drama queen)... but it was tense for a while! So with that exception, carrying in the field just makes me sleep better at night. I know it's extra weight, but like others here I look at it as an insurance policy... one I hope I never have to use. If I'm being honest, bear spray is probably a better option, but it just makes me feel more manly carrying a piece on my hip when I'm back in he sticks! 😳

God Bless America!