I too grew up reading the old writers. I enjoyed them all for different reasons. I felt jack had the best sense of humor and was a Master with words. I also thought he was very practical. I liked Elmer for his brash boldness, but I suspect a lot of that came from "Littleman syndrome". He gave great advice with the big, heavy bullets, especially in timber. But it was so obvious the problems he ran into were bullet 'design" not caliber. Those big bullets either didn't open well at distance or Military Ball ammo in the 30-06 for elk? yet, the .44 magnum handgun was peaches for 600yd mule deer...granted, a finishing shot. Then pushing those older steel jacketed .333 cals too fast and them them splitting/fragmenting. I did get a chuckle how he "almost" shot several guys he called out...it was "so close"...I guess he did, but it sure sounded like BS to me. But I have used several of those medium calibers with good, modern bullets and man oh man, they DO work well on bigger game. The good Col was always a horse's behind, but hey, I have met many guys just like him, growing up in East Texas. I think he was a pretty good shot, never followed the Matches he mentions, etc. He himself hated the 30-06 yet loved the 8mm caliber. He was definitely a very prideful man, but, I still enjoy his writings. They were all just human beings, flawed and yet each saw life from their own perspectives. It makes a good overview, to me. I would have liked to have met them all, but my favorite was always Jack, not because of the .270, but the writings about the 30-06 and the 7x57 just thrilled me more, oh yeah, and the .375 H&h.