Re Cactus Jack’s last two 7x57 rifles.
The first of the two was a small ring 98 type action identical to the G33/40 except they had different markings and there were fewer available for use. Tom Burgess did basic metal work. His later jobs were much more elaborate. The stock was made by Russ Leonard who made his living as a sales rep for, I believe, Leupold and perhaps other companies. Leonard’s stock styling was a very big influence on Earl Milliron’s “racy classic” design. Earl told me so. I believe Leonard built a rifle stock for Joyce Hornady. Mr. O’Connor used it for a short time until it was claimed by his bride. The stock was shortened. She being 5’3” or so and him standing over 6’.

The second rifle was a pre64 M70 which was remodeled by Al Biesen. The wood is pretty plain. But that was not unusual at that time. Biesen recontoured the standard weight barrel and cut it to 22”. I have handled both and prefer the 7x57. Mr O’Connor let me fondle all of them while visiting him in his home. I was 21 and thought I was in heaven.

I have weighted quite a few of the wood stocked rifles which were being built by the top makers of the time. Most of those stocks weigh 2 1/2 pounds.

I have owned and weighed stocks by Fisher, Milliron, Kennedy, Goens, and Brownell. Weight could vary by plus or minus 2 oz depending upon wood density. M70’s and 98’s were pretty close with a 98 being about 2 oz less. Of course that depends on the barrel and sights.

My lightest rifle of that period was completed in 1977 and is a G33/40 270 blind magazine Burgess metal with a slim barrel e.g. .535” at 23”. The stock was made by Monte Kennedy from a blank that came from Purdey’s wood pile.

The “formula” for a custom was pretty well established so 270 class rifle went 7.5-8 with a 4x Leupold and no iron sights. In those days 90% of the “mountain rifles” being built by the top makers were 270 Wins. The rest were 7 RM.
Milliron built one stock with a very light blank that was 2# because he hollowed the butt and fore end.

Last edited by RinB; 01/09/18.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.