In my June 1957 Outdoor Life, JOC, in his SHOOTING Column writes about the 7x57. Back then he said public and industry pronounced it dead 20 years earlier. But, according to JOC, it keeps sitting up taking nourishment. Even though the ammo was limited and Winchester stopped making it for their Model 70, it will not give up. JOC traces its military history and points out that it was the 7x57 that prompted the US Military to scrap the 30-40Krag and develop the 30-06. He talks of Karamojo Bell "braining" over 1000 elephants with the 175gr. solid. Oddly enough in 1957, the only US made load was a 175gr at about 2490fps. The 139gr load was dropped before WWII. However, Dominion still imported a 139gr load from Canada. JOC was chumming around with the Prince and Princess of Iran. They were worldwide hunters with unlimited funds. JOC had Winchester build a 7x57 for the Princess and in a 1953 African safari, they both used it on 80 head of game.
They used the Remington 175gr load and the Dominion 139gr load. The Prince used it exclusively for his worlwide sheep hunts until JOC gave him a custom 270. JOC wrote quite a bit about handloading for the 7x57. His favorite load was the 160gr Nosler bullet (doesn't say Partition or Solid Base) using either 49gr of No. 4350 or 51gr. of No 4831 (doesn't say IMR or H) but I think it was only IMR back then. He cautions the handloader by saying that Remington brass was thicker than WW brass. Anyway, I thought it was interesting to get a perspective on the 7x57 from "270Jack" that was written 49 years ago!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.