I've been around for a while and think that the tone of civility, collegiality, courtesy, and mutual respect of this site needs a little work, so I elected myself as the civility police.

I grew up reading JO'C and have always had a lot of respect for his body of work. He wasn't perfect, nobody is, but he was generally acknowledged as the best of an outstand crop of post-WW2 writers. He probably wasn't the best at any particular aspect of shooting, but he was a man for all seasons. Kind of like Barsness, probably not the best at any particular aspect of shooting, but he is well rounded and appears to do his research before he offers an opinion.

BTW, I�ve been shooting the 7x57 since 1970 because JO'C's chapter in The Hunting Rifle spoke to me. Based on my experience in the field with both the 7x57 and 308, I can't see that there is $0.05 difference between the 2 when all other factors are equal. Most any projectile, from most any firearms, that penetrates into the pleural cavity with a modicum of speed will produce clean kills. I can even do it with 60 grain Partitions for a 22-250, or a 95 grain SBT from a 243 WSSM, or a __ grain ______ from a _____, or a .........

Jeff