John,

The advantage I see the .308 having over the 7mm Mauser is this: in the 7mm Mauser I guess that 140-150 grain bullets are commonly use. When compare to the .308Win using 180 grain bullets, the advantages I see are: about 20% great bullet weight/(mass?), and the .30cal having a greater frontal area, about ~18/19% over the 7mm calibers. This might not be that big a difference with deer, but shouldn't it provide a little better margin of error, given similar bullet construction, on larger game??? Just my thoughts said aloud, so I could be wrong and I'm open to correction.

I agree that the difference between the 7mm bullets and .270 caliber bullets is insignificant. About 5% greater frontal area and 5% great bullet weight....not that significant of a difference in my opinion.

I agree that bullet construction, especially in the premium bullets, helps the sub 30cal bullets in game larger than deer. But the 30 cal bullets get the same help from premiums bullets as well. Just some rambling thoughts.

Leo