I've been saying as much for years on this forum; handguns aren't rifles.

When the target impact speed is gone, handgun bullets may or may not expand, may penetrate less etc..

It's easier to make a larger caliber expand at lower velocity, but more difficult to get penetration from it while keeping recoil down. Range is an effect as well.

Handguns are pretty simple, it's only by treating them like rifles do the mechanics get complicated, convoluted and follows with nonsense that was universally quelled over a hundred years ago.

Flat, large and keep the expansion to a minimum. I hear pure lead or 1-20 punks up nicely, but as long as folks think they make a bullet that can go through a windshield and 7/8ths of a dead perp from 10 feet to 50 yards, the concept of an entrance and an exit hole is way too dangerous....

FWIW, lead and flat noses were banned from military application, probably because both worked.

I do find it interesting that what often gets recommended for large animal defense is suddenly not applicable for human defense and suddenly bullets must take on an entirely different composition, shape, role etc..