Originally Posted by mannyspd1
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by mannyspd1

As an aside, I prefer a high capacity 9, as repeat shots are faster due to less recoil.

Only if you've actually measured it. Otherwise you are repeating a forum myth.
There are YouTube videos of folks testing followup shot time difference between 9mm and 40sw - no difference. I know there is no difference for me.

This oft-quoted piece of information only applies to new shooters. Like a typical FBI desk jockey.

Hi DLA ,

As you probably know, recoil is subjective from shooter to shooter, with variables such as hand size, grip egonomics, experience, shooting technique, physical weight of the handgun and individual load in the firearm.

My experience is, myself, and many other shooters, can control a 9mm firearm quicker and more accurately compared to heavier calibers, if other variables such as the firearm remain consistent.

Obviously, as you mentioned, there is plenty of material previously written on this, and physics also tell us this. As a firearm instructor for about 22 years, and daily carrying 9mm, .38 special, 357 magnum, 40, 10mm, 45 acp, and 44 magnum over a period of 32 years as part of my job, I can tell you that generally, handguns that recoil less are quicker to shoot more accurately for most people. Not something I read somewhere, its my experience.

Your experience may be different, I dunno.

But you didn't measure it.
You THINK recoil is the major factor in shooting fast, but with handgun cartridges up to 200 power factor that isn't true.
Measuring reduces the BS.

Now with brand new shooters who are struggling with grip, stance, etc., recoil is a big factor.