Originally Posted by Bugger
Being in a rural area where crime is nearly non-existent other than people doing illegal drugs ( and not harming others) I have little need for an anti-personnel pistol. When I'm hiking where there's mountain lions or wolves or even rabid animals, I might carry a 357. Thinking back when I had to live in high crime areas, I think a derringer would be all that would be required for personal protection. I recently bought a Bond 45 ACP and it shoots surprisingly well. I also bought a slim single stack 9mm which fits in my pocket quite well - If I remember right, it holds 7 rounds. Every now and then I may have to go to the Twin Cities where I feel that a concealed weapon might be prudent. I HATE going to the Twin Cities! I can not imagine a scenario where a lot of rounds would be required.

Back in 1970 a group of us went to Washington DC to sell blood (ours) to get a little spending money. After I gave blood one of my buddies came into the building and told me there was a gang with knives outside and I was needed. The gang of thugs had knifes, but when the number of marines equaled the number of thugs with knives they backed off slowly. As I recall we sold our blood for $15 and we were not going to give that money to those thugs.

I think in that case a derringer would have been enough to cause the bad guys to back off, even if it were only one guy against them.

A Derringer adequate to face a gang armed with knives... Darwin is smiling right now.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.