At the risk of sounding like Dion and the Belmonts(remember them): Here's my story,it's sad but true.

Recognizing what a cool thing a nice 338 in a rifle that's not too heavy would be. And wanting a contolled feed action because...... well just because.

I bought a 90s vintage Model 70 Supergrade and was cool except it would not shoot anything(trust me I tried)in less tham 2 inches at 100 yards. So when a dealer friend took in a nice Dakota in 338,we traded and it shot......just as bad.

I traded it for a shotgun and found a nice belgium Brwning FN Safari grade rifle and had to have it and it shot.......just as bad.

I can shoot little groups with my 300 win mag or my 375H&H so I don't think recoil is messing up my shooting. I know it's all just been luck of the draw but it seem that 338 rifles just keep pooping in my easter basket. You know,that sinking feeling when something you really wanted dissapponts you to the point of exasperation.

Right now I have several rifles that shoot great that bracket the 338. I've got a 35 Whelen that a real shooter and and the 375 shoots good too. Heck I've even got a 330 Dakota that shoots half inch with favored loads but it weighs nearly 12 pounds scoped and is too heavy for the mountains.

So should I send the Browning off to see if I can get her to shoot or keep trading guns on the assumption of getting lucky sooner or later? Or do you get by with other rifles that are a little bigger or smaller?

I'm thinking about a Ruger Hawkeye in stainless synthetic. If it doesn't group I'll have somebody put it in a nice McMillan and accurize it.What does that sound like to you guys?

Britt