Guys,where have you been? 8 pound 338's have been around since the early 80's.....and we made them relatively pleasant to shoot,too! smile

Now my pal's 340 Weatherby is a stock Mark V lefty he dropped into a Brown Precision stock back around 82-83 IIRC.This is one accurate rifle and I doubt it'll go more than 8 or 8.5.It will not kill you on an elk mountain,and ain't half bad.

We found it reared back a good amount so he sent it to magnaport which keeps recoil straight back and more manageable.Accuracy was not effected in the least and this is less loud than a muzzle break.......you still have to hang on but it won't kill you;manageable.

There have been others here including a couple put up with pre 64 actions, Kriegers,and Brown stocks. These were lightweight and not bad to shoot;a couple of original pre 64 70's which were nicely balanced but heavier,and a flossy Griffin&Howe pre 64 that liked saddle scabbards on hunts I took it on....including the day the horse ran off with it.That taught me to never dismount without taking your rifle.... grin

Of the bunch the Brown stocked 338 rifles were really best as they were easy to lug and not bad to shoot.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.