Bob, I think it all boils down to your comfort level. We are all individuals here. One thing we need to be out in the field is comfortable and confident in our rifle and our abiltiy to make said combination work for us. If your comfort level allows the use of a 338 wizbang magnum then so be it. I like giving my friend a hard time because he uses his 270 for everything and I myself have always used the 30-06 (old rivalry I know grin), we all know what one does the other can do just as well. I think with todays bullets, less focus should be on the cartridge used and more should be on the critical things like ergonomics, weight, and shootability. As I stated earlier, 338 is what I carry and for the simple fact that it is quite managable to shoot, it is accurate, and it gives me all the confidence in the world: To give an example, the other day I was practicing some offhand shooting and managed a 2.5" group at 200 yds with my fav 338. All that being said, the most important factor in making a clean kill in most hunting situations is proficiency rather than choice in caliber. Have a merry christmas to everyone on the campfire, BSA.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA