Whatever I carry it is usually in an HPG Kit Bag. The HPG bag lets me pack water in a flat sided soft Platypus water bottle, a Clif bar, my phone, a tourniquet & Israeli bandage, compass, Zebralight, and whatever else I feel I might need on that day. I have revolvers and auto's from .22LR to .41 Magnum and plenty in between. The gun most often carried is a Glock 20 Gen3 SF 10mm stoked with 200 gr. XTP hollow points at 1250 fps or 220 gr. hardcast flat points at 1200 fps. Black bears and hogs are the biggest potential threat, there are a few mountain lions but I have never seen one of those. The MDC has verified a lion/s has killed five elk in my hunting area so lion/s are around. They are busy being lions, sneaky bastages. Bears and hogs, especially hogs, are fairly common. Bumping into a sow with a litter or a cranky old boar is something that can and does happen. And of course there are coyotes, fox and bobcats but unless rabid I don't see them as an issue. The 10mm can handle those situations if I do my part. If walking the local town trail a 2.0 M&P 4" 9mm Compact is most often the gun in the bag. That or a Glock 19. Both are the same size in the bag and hold the same ammo on board. I shoot one as well as the other though I like the 2.0 M&P better for whatever reasons. Fifteen rounds of +P HST 124 or 147 gr. hollow points would dissuade nefarious crackhead types or overly ambitious vicious canines.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.