When there was a wife and child in the house my woods carry/home defense/recreational plinking/drive cross country gun was a 3” S&W Mod 60. That was fine until one day I came across a really big feral boar that stood and huffed about twenty yards out deciding what it was gonna do while I shouted and waved my arms. Finally it spun off the path like a sumo wrestler and crashed off a short ways into dense brush where it remained huffing and snorting.

If it woulda charged it could cover that ground in seconds and I would have had just five chances with heavy recoiling double action .357 loads from a j-frame to affect the outcome. So Ihat same week I bought a 10mm Glock 29. Twice fthe firepower in an easier to shoot package.

That lasted about three or four years but ammo was expensive and hard to find. About that time some guy named Phil Shoemaker up in Alaska demonstrated that speed and shot placement can trump all else. So I sold off the 29 and now my ol’ reliable Gen 2 Glock 19 gets the nod, loaded with 15+1 rounds of 147grain Hardcasts.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744