Originally Posted by TheKid
I’m a mechanic’s helper in a gas fired power plant Sam. So basically the shop gofer that has to do all the painting, sweeping, fire watch, hole watch, lift heavy stuff type things that nobody else wants or is too good to do. I’m also the groundskeeper, weed and pest sprayer, plumber, and road maintenance guy.

I’m the lowest rung on the totem pole. My only perk is that due to being an “unskilled” and “non essential” position I can take vacation whenever I want, the mechanics and electricians have to schedule their time off so there’s no more than 2 at a time gone.

Good news is that my foot is in the door and maybe someday a mechanic job will open. I’m actually well qualified for a mechanic position with my trade school, machine shop, and welding experience and overqualified for my current job. But I know people who’ve been trying for decades to get on here with no luck so I consider myself lucky.

The benefits are great, we get a pension plus 401k the company will match up to 12 percent. The medical is the main reason for me, I pay nothing out of my check for coverage and every January the company deposits half of our deductible amount in my HSA account. Without this we’d never be able to afford the incredibly expensive meds my wife has to have every month.

Last year with a small Christmas bonus and a couple hundred hours of overtime I paid taxes on right around $60k.

There’s an old timer mechanic who’s talking retirement in the spring. And my wife started working a few days a week at the little local grocery store here in town this week so things are looking up. It is also very cheap to live here compared to other areas of the country so we have that going for us.

Wow! That's one sweet benefit package. A pension PLUS match up to 12% in the 401K? Is that a 1:1 match so 24% goes in with you contributing 12? If so, that's the best I've ever heard of. One you snag that promotion you be heading for early retirement. Hope it works out.