Shaman,
When I read the article you describe the rifle that immediately comes to my mind is a Steyr Scout rifle. 19” fluted barrel threaded 1/2-20 (weird I know, but Steyr USA has a 1/2x20 to 5/8-24 adapter for sale on their website. So with the adapter on let’s call it an even 20” barrel. I screwed a Silencerco single port muzzle brake onto the adapter. I am not looking for the brake to do much, it is the shortest way to have a quick attach / detach system for my Silencerco Omega 300 suppressor.

Since we are at the muzzle, lets talk features from there toward the back. The 19” cold hammer forged barrel is a testament to modern manufacturing techniques. It is flawless. There is a built-in bipod in the forend of the stock, it is not Atlas strong but quite handy when the need arises.

Pretty much the entire top of the rifle has a picatinny rail for scout scope work or a single slot on either side of the ejection port for a traditional mounted scope. I have tried three different options so far. Burris scout scope on qd rings mounted out front. It was decent, but did nothing well and i found it difficult to use first and last 30 minutes of the day. I then purchased a Nightforce NX8 and set it on top of ring bases in their traditional spots. My friend laughed so hard at the absurdity of it I never completed the install and returned the scope. It looked like an elephant riding a tricycle, way too much scope for the rifle.
I then went uber small and lightweight. SWFA 2.5-10x32mm with bdc reticle mounted LOW. Like so low you couldn’t slide a piece of paper under the front bell. Not a good thing as I could see half the suppressor in the scope at low power. I couldn’t see [bleep] at the top powers either due to tunnel effect and poor light gathering ability. Off it went and sold next week.

Settled on a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44mm scope at ~16oz so it really balances the rifle well. Now let’s talk bout the action/bolt. Super smooth, the three position tag mounted rotary safety is genius. On full lock you can press the bolt handle down against the stock and it creates a great slim rifle with few snag points. Rotating the safety pops the bolt handle out.

Rifle has a 5 round magazine along with a place for a second one to be stored in the butstock! There is also storage inside the grip cap on the stock, I keep any necessary allen wrenches, a 1/2” box wrench for removing scope if needed to utilize the built in flush when stowed pop-up iron sights.

I removed two of the three 1/4” spacers (can’t remember, maybe i pulled them all) on the stock butt and added the Steyr soft rubber recoil pad. This kept the length of pull short and added some cushion with the recoil pad vs. the hard factory one.

Finally, the trigger. Smooth and crisp, no fiddling needed. Mine was at 3lbs right out of the box. My 308 loads all seem to be where you wanted to downgrade yours to for some reason. Federal GMM 175 sierra matchkings go 2625 out of this rifle and my Tikka 20” CTR. 1980s batch of Winchester 150 grain silvertips were SLOW at around 2450 fps but they were easily sub-moa so they got the callup for hunting. Didn’t get a chance to connect with anything late last season but it will be my goto rifle this coming year. I plan to load up some Nosler 168 grain Accubond long range rounds for it. The barrel has shown me that it will shoot damn near anything under 1” unless you really screw something up.

I

Last edited by cotis; 04/11/23.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff