Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by Pappy348
shaman, don’t know if this is a real thing or just navel-gazing, . . .

Honestly, I'm not sure myself. However, folks seemed to like commenting on the thread I started on a short range deer rifle, and I found the Finn Aagard piece, and thought I'd mention it.

I'm still probing the depths of my TC Compass in 7mm-08. I'm not going to bob the barrel on that unless I have a really good reason. I also have my Savage 99 in 308 WIN. I wouldn't want to touch that ever. It was a once-in-a-lifetime find. I'm not really sure where I'm going to go next.

The one thing that keeps gnawing at me is that I've got all this 308 brass and I still think a bolt gun in that chambering would be handy. Whether I scratch that itch now or later remains to be seen.

One thing I had not thought of an y'all brought it to my attention: Right now, I don't have a gun that gives an uncomfortable amount of blast. Bobbing a barrel to less than 20 inches is going to change that.

Navel gazing? Possibly. However, I've learned that this august forum seems to respond well to the various lint and crumbs I find.

I’ve found that a light and handy rifle doesn’t have to wear a stubby barrel. I have four under 7lbs, and the shortest barrel among them is the 21” on my Fieldcraft. They’re handy because they’re light enough to be carried by the grip with one hand when needed, but they still balance well. O’Connor wrote that his idea of a mountain rifle also worked well in the woods, and those were 8-pounders, not the 7lb ones more common today.

Nothing wrong with a little navel gazing, but in my case it often ends expensively.

What fresh Hell is this?