Originally Posted by carrollco
I’ve always enjoyed the carbine type rifles. My lust for them was fueled by Bob Milek in a “Shooting Times” article many decades ago. In the article, he took a .308 Remington Mohawk rifle and customized it to his liking. He made a bolt release, new trigger guard, sawed off the ventilated rib, and put it into a Mannlicher stock, with muzzle cap, pistol grip cap and buttplate. I carried that magazine around for many years but my finances never allowed it. I did find a very nice REM 600 in 243 and bought it from my next door neighbor. When I married my second wife,I had a heart attack 6 months into the marriage and couldn’t work for several months. I had to liquidate it and other gear to eat. Later, I found a Ruger 77 tanger RSI in 308 for $300 and it was only 2 weeks old and returned to my local gunsmith. I still have it and the 3 sons argue over who’s gonna get it when I'm gone. Also have a Winchester M70 Carbine in 30/06 that fits me well. I had another but had to sell for a down payment on my youngest son’s classical guitar. Also have owned a Remington 742 carbine in 308 that was sold after my heart attack. Did have Winchester 94 Trapper also. I just enjoy my carbines for walking around rifles and hunting from stands. Very noticeable if you touch off a round at dusk. My hearing was already bad from being a scout in ARNG and shooting every thing they had available. The barrels were 20”, 18.5”, and 16.5” all very handy. I liked the 165 grain bullets in the 06 and the 308. I primarily shot old REM Corelokts HPs in 170 in the Trapper. I used
2 x 7 Redfield on the M70 and a Burris made Browning 2 X 7 on the Ruger, and also have used Leupold 4X on them.

600 Mohawks didn't have the vented rib, the original 600s did.

There are actually some non-cataloged factory built Remington 600 Mohawks with Mannlicer-style stocks out there that were sold through U.S. military outlets in Europe.