This would have also been 2 years after 9/11. My 8th grade son was going on a school sponsored trip to Washington DC for 3 days. We dropped him off early one April morning to get on the charter bus and realized he didn't pack a jacket. It's warm enough here in April to rarely need one, but I knew he would very likely need one in DC. I had an old fleece jacket behind the seat of my pickup that I grabbed and gave to him.

When he got home, he apologized for having to throw a shotgun choke tube in the trash. He had found it in my pocket and when approaching a metal detector to get inside of a museum he wisely trashed it.

Last summer my wife and I were seeing the sights in Boston. I chose to carry a small sub 3" cheap pocketknife just in case I ran into a similar situation. When we tried to board the USS Constitution I walked into a room with a metal detector. There was no trash can and a one-way line with no good way to back out. Sure enough I set off the detector. When I pulled the knife out and gave it to the Sailor there working security he opened the blade, gave it a quick look, closed the blade and gave it back to me. "That's not a knife, just keep it in your pocket and enjoy your visit" he said.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.