jwp475
your point about defending your butt from inside the tent at close quarters is certainly valid, but I think your under estimating the punch of a 10mm, while its certainly not a power house like a 44mag, 445 SUPER MAG,454 cassul or 500 S&W it does have the necessary punch to break thru a bears skull or drive deep enought to be fatal with the correct ammo at point blank ranges and while your correct that the larger caliber revolvers hit harder, either choice sure beats being unarmed,and either choice would prove fatal to the bear if you had the chance to start pumping shots into him,as fast as you can while repelling unwanted tent partners, so it comes down to shot placement,either caliber shot thru the skull or into the spine should prove fatal quickly,
yes, your more likely to drive a single bullet deeper with the revolvers, but if given a chance, the 10mm certainly would prove quickly fatal, Ive killed enough deer and hogs with my 10mm to know its certainly capable of shooting thru a hogs shoulders or head.(BEEN THERE DONE THAT SEVERAL TIMES)
double tap sells a 230 grain hard cast load at 1120 fps for the 10mm

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=158

while thats certainly not my first choice in bear repellants Id be pumping a near full auto steam of bullets if forced into that confrontation given the chance, and a single hit could reach the vitals

Last edited by 340mag; 05/03/08.