Interesting story but with this line in it " As it turned out, the .40-caliber 180-grain Corbon hollowpoints at 1300 fps were enough to take down a bear in short order." I question what really happened at all. 1300 fps with a 180 in a Glock is a pipe dream. 1000 fps is a max load. Corbon doesn't even load a 180 40 S&W round! That's a hot load from a 10mm!

All this notwithstanding, there is no doubt that a heavy 40 cal bullet would do a lot of damage to a bear. Even a 9mm would be better than a fly-swatter!

Now that I re-read the story, it doesn't say that it was indeed a 40 S&W- I took that for granted- it could have been a 10mm indeed.
I have only seen a handgun used in bear defense one time where a round was fired. While fishing on Arizona's Black River, an aggressive bear ( a large one too) walked straight towards us and at 50 feet my buddy dropped his pole and unholstered his 45 ACP. At 20 feet he put one round into the water in front of the bear. The bear turned and trotted off- problem solved. I've had them stare me down but never had to fire a round thank God!

Last edited by dennisinaz; 05/04/08. Reason: post script added

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.