I don't have a new perspective, but will add my continuing assessment of what works. I started with a Colt Model 70 and 7 rounds of FMJ ball for woods use, I've moved to a .45 Auto Rim loaded revolver with 230 grain FMJ-truncated cone / "Air Force" load, faster than the Hornady load I normally use in a 1911 pistol, by some 100 fps over standard. I have taken to carrying a 10 mm Glock loaded with a 15 round magazine of Winchester Silvertips, with a Double Tap magazine loaded with 200 grain cast flat points. We have a few black bears in middle Tennessee but being a lottery winner is more likely than a bear sighting. I carry the heavy cast bullets for horse and cattle injuries. In the revolver relm, I like the .44 Magnum 629 S&W Mountain Gun. I don't practic with the 325 grain Garret cast bullets as a rule, sticking to 240 grain SWC at 1000 fps for woods carry in the Eastern US. In grizzly country I carry a .45 Colt 5 1/2" Redhawk with 325 grain LBT-FN Buffalo Bore bullets at 1313 fps. I hunt with a 500 Linebaugh 5-shot Redhawk with 435 grain WFNGC at 1289 fps. If you aren't going to carry at least a .41 magnum with soft points for black bears or similar animals, go to a smaller caliber with heavy for caliber cast bullets and demand CNS levels of accuracy. The penetration is there with hard cast or full metal jacket rounds but not the shock. A soft point in .41 Magnum or .44 Magnum is enough for black bear, mountain lion and so on. Grizzly is another story. The really fragile self-defense loads are not ideal for 300+ pound threats. I don't see the need for hyper velocity to get a light weight revolver or pistol to work efficiently in .40 + caliber, just get the weight up and the nose flat and it will work well. I like the 10mm as a general utility gun at close range. Say what you like about the ineffective pistol, I am sure 15 rounds of hard cast 200 grain bullets will make their effect known in a few seconds. The .45 ACP can be effective if a heavy weight spring set is used and dedicated +P loads are used for certain action cycling. The Ruger Redhawks seem to be ultra reliable to me. If I spent time in a remote area, I'd consider the new 4" Redhawk in .44 Mag or .45 Colt as my first choice. A good shoulder holster will easily carry a 3 pound handgun comfortably, don't get carried away about light weight as the ultimate goal. I quit carrying my .44 Magnum 629 S&W with my rifle on a grizzly hunt after the first week. I kept my rifle in reach or my revolver at my side, not both. Once that decision was made, the reason to carry light was lost, togeather they weigh 11 pounds, individually they weighed 8.5 lbs or 2.5 lbs. A handgun allows your hands to be free to work or perform other tasks. A rifle is more powerful and effective at longer ranges. Your circumstances are your best guide.

Last edited by Carson; 05/06/08.