Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I wouldn't go buying a handgun for that "just in case" moment you will probably never experience. The way I see it, your 357 is better than nothing and should that moment arrive where you need to use it, it will be at close range. Hit him with the first 5 and if that don't stop him, save the last round for yourself.

J/K of course. wink
.................The way you see it, your analogy is a brilliant piece of work!!!.......NOT!!!..................Why risk it!!!

Buying a more powerful handgun for that,,,,"just in case moment",,,,CAN SAVE ONE`S LIFE!!! And is a very cheap price to pay for added insurance against a BIG bear.

It`s those UNEXPECTED just in case moments that can suddenly arise with little to no warning, where being under-gunned can certainly get one either mamed or killed!!!!

Whether it is needed or not, buying a more powerful handgun IS worth the price for added defense on a hunt, especially if hunting alone.
I really could give 2 [bleep] if you like my analogy, I didn't write for you. Tell us how many brown and black bear attacks you've experienced. Yeah, that's what I figured, zero, nada, zilch, none. Walking through the wilderness in Alaska being paranoid about bears is no way to experience this great state. Your probably one of those guys that carries a 416 rifle and 500 SW handgun while hunting, THAT makes a lot of sense.
.........................Even though you didn`t write your viewpoint for me which I realize, it nevertheless doesn`t make your posted viewpoint immune from some healthy criticism, which by your reaction you didn`t seem to handle too well.

I experienced NO bear attacks when in Alaska several years ago on my successful big bear hunt. I didn`t own a 416 back then and don`t own one now. But I do carry a 500 S&W sidearm in big bear country. Carrying a sidearm did and does NOT make me "paranoid", nor did it eliminate or detract in any way from my great Alaskan experience. Nice try, but some wrong assumptions there on your part.

Even though the odds of a big bear attack might be one in maybe several thousand or even several million or whatever the odds may be, I nonetheless take no chances regardless of those very slim odds. Imo, which is contrary to your opinion, that makes alot of sense.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger