Originally Posted by Steelhead
This one time in hunting camp.....

The only reason to use a handgun is if you don't have a rifle and there ain't much of a reason to not have a rifle.

yeah but have you ever been fishing in bear country? Oh, nvrmnd

have you ever been out cutting wood in bear country? Oh, nvrmnd

My wife has a 4" 629 with one of the sweetest triggers I've seen or used. In my youth I fancied myself as a bit of a pistolero, competed abit with .357 and shot enough with a .45 to become somewhat proficient with it as well.

true I'd rather have a handgun than nada, but my knockaround gun is a .45/70 GG, it's light and handy. But even with one of my bolt action rifles I can get it into action pdq.

Have only ever been bluff charged twice, and I've spent a fair number of days afield, often with a bloody pack.

Have had a bear drag a cooler off into the thick stuff in Valdez.

Watched a cute little black bear spring onto a picnic table and run off with neighboring campers donuts, while they were sitting at the table. Oh my god did they scramble! lmao over that one.

Have had a bear repeatedly come into camp to steal meat and hides on a oh so long night, guy I was working with lost his voice from screaming at the bear, we shot over it, under it etc. but still kept coming into camp to raid. Hungry bear I guess. Only reason it didn't float is we had a State Trooper as one of our guests and didn't want to put him in a hard spot.

one of the best training exercises I've ever heard of involves a bit of risk.

have a pard, hopefully not a close pard or an ex wife stand behind a big tree and throw an old basketball at you from around 30 ft. away, when he yells fire (hopefully when he's back behind the tree) blow that basketball to kingdom come.....if you can.

I like to carry a rifle, YMMV

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.