Originally Posted by trader388
does anyone actually know how thick a bear skull is at the 4" circular window of opportunity?

Might have to test this with these guns...maybe using steel. Looks like avg bone density is 1500 kg/m3 and steel is around 8000 kg/m3 so about 5.3x more dense.

an inch of skull would = .18" of steel that doesn't seem right I doubt much of anything could get through that steel. So either my math is off or the skull thickness is less than an inch.

Don't know about skull thickness. Do know about steel penetration however. My uncle was a gun master and tested a bunch of rifles on 1 inch steel plate. On a very hard target velocity becomes the determining factor of penetration followed in a distant 2nd place by the area of the projectile.

WW!! confirmed this. The Germans did pretty good work with the high velocity 88, putting holes in Allied Tanks to 1500 meters. The American Sherman low velocity 75 in the mean time was scratching German paint. The 75 was better than the smaller low velocity rounds though.

Bone probably falls between flesh annd steel in hardness and doesn't require the same properties that either steel or flesh has in regards to penetration.